If you're unfamiliar with colon cancer, this is a great place to start. As you read the answers to common questions, you'll have an opportunity to explore specific topics in more detail.
People who suffer from inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) are at increased risk for colon cancer because the tissue of the colon is inflamed for a long period of time.
Some groups of people more likely to be diagnosed with colon cancer than others. The reasons are varied, but ethnicity, race, and social status all play a part.
There's no denying that exercise is good for you. The couch potato in me would like to see a study every once in a while declaring otherwise, but that just doesn't happen. Exercise helps keep us healthy and yes, it helps prevent colon cancer.
The short answer is yes. Your risk of developing colon cancer increases when you have polyps and even if your parent, sibling, or child has polyps.
Most colon cancer occurs in people with no family history of the disease. But, colon cancer can run in the family. Whether you're at increased risk depends on which family member was diagnosed and at what age.
Research has indicated that alcohol increases colon cancer risk. Research has also shown that it lowers it, or that it has no effect at all. So which is right? All of it may be. The key appears to be what kind of alcohol you're drinking.
That's a good question and one the medical community is still asking itself. Some studies indicate that breast cancer increases colon cancer risk and others say it doesn't.
Research has shown that environment can play a big part in colon cancer development. Where you live, who's around you, your occupation, and even when you work may all influence your risk of developing colon cancer.
You may have heard that men are more likely to get colon cancer than women. You may have heard it the other way around, too. Both statements can be true depending on the context.
Nobody likes to have the word obese thrown at them. I prefer overweight. But, obesity is a medical term that indicates someone exceeds their recommended weight, one step beyond simply being overweight. And the answer to the question is yes, obesity does increase colon cancer risk.
Whether a woman with a history of ovarian cancer is at increased risk for colon cancer depends on why she (or her family member) developed ovarian cancer in the first place.
Women with a personal (or family) history of uterine cancer may have a greater risk of developing colon cancer. If the uterine cancer was caused by a particular genetic mutation, women are considered at high risk for colon cancer.
For most people, the impact of genes is minimal. About 75% of colon cancer occurs in people with no (or very little) family history of the disease. However, the other 25% of cases have a genetic component.
Most people have about a six percent chance of developing colon cancer at some point in their lives. Some things, like a personal or family history of cancer, may increase your risk. Other things, like following colon cancer screening guidelines, decrease your risk.
When signs of colon cancer appear, it's often an indication that the disease is in later stages. If you are experiencing any of these signs of colon cancer, please seek medical care.
People with diabetes have a greater chance of developing colon cancer. They also tend to have lower survival rates and higher recurrence rates.
A risk factor is something that is likely to increase the chances that a particular event will occur. Sometimes, this risk comes from something you do. Other times, there's nothing you can do about the risk. It just exists.
The colon is about six feet long and is the part of the body's digestive system that moves waste material from the small intestine to the rectum.
The rectum is about eight inches long and serves, basically, as a warehouse for poop. It receives waste material from the colon and stores it until you defecate.
Chemotherapy is given in schedules to maximize the damage to cancer cells while minimizing the damage to the healthy tissues in your body.