An applicant is claiming preference based on service in Bosnia, but he/she has no DD Form 214 to support his claim. Can we give him/her preference?

A service member whose record appears to show service qualifying for Veterans' preference (for example, there is an indication that the person served in Bosnia in 1996), may be accorded 5 points tentative preference on that basis alone. However, before the person can be appointed, he or she must submit proof of entitlement to preference. That proof may be an amended DD Form 214 showing the award of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (AFEM) for Bosnia in the case of service members who served there and were released prior to enactment of the recent Veterans' preference amendments, or it may be other official documentation showing award of the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.