Q: I wasn't married when I retired, so if I get married after retirement, may I elect SBP coverage for my spouse?

A: Yes. You may elect SBP spouse coverage for the first spouse you acquire after retirement; however, you must elect the coverage before the first anniversary of your marriage. Complete a DD Form 2656-6 requesting SBP coverage for your spouse, and provide your spouse's name, Social Security number, date of birth and a copy of the marriage certificate. You should also certify that you have not been married from the date that you retired through the day before marriage to your current spouse. A valid election for SBP coverage will become effective on the first anniversary of the marriage. The SBP cost will start effective with the first full month after the first anniversary.