Q: My divorce decree requires that I keep SBP coverage for my ex-spouse. What do I have to do?

A: A spouse loses eligibility as a spouse beneficiary on the date of divorce, automatically under the law, even if the DFAS-CL is not advised of your divorce. If you want -- or are ordered -- to provide SBP for your former spouse, send DFAS-CL a copy of the divorce decree and a DD Form 2656-1, SBP Election Statement for Former Spouse Coverage, within one year of the date of your divorce.