What if my home state changed its laws to recognize same-sex marriage after I traveled to be married somewhere else?

If you previously filed a claim or application for VA benefits or services and your claim or application was denied because VA was precluded by the law of your home state from recognizing your marriage, you may reapply for the benefit or service based on the recent change in that law. For any claim filed after the change in the state law, VA's recognition will be based on the current law as long as the state continues to be the claimant's or applicant's place of residence.