How do I reinstate my previous benefit?

If your DIC benefit as a surviving spouse was terminated because you remarried, but the subsequent marriage has since ended due to death, divorce, or annulment, you may file to have your previous Survivor's benefit reinstated.  (Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors Chapter 12) 

To do so, you will be asked to complete VA form 21-4138 and submit it to your local VA Regional Office along with documentation supporting the claim that your subsequent marriage has ended (i.e., divorce decree or death certificate).   After doing so, call the Veterans Benefits Administration directly at800-827-1000to confirm that your materials have been received and to find out the status of your reinstatement.