VFC Visitors Counter

This WeekThis Week6380
This MonthThis Month60544
All DaysAll Days7133587
Highest 01-13-2021 : 3900
Logged In Users 0
Guests 34
Registered Users 755
Registered Today 0

What You Should Know About Long-Term Care Assistance From the VA

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

Long Term Care


For Veterans seeking assistance with their caregiving situation – those who may not have long-term care insurance or enough individual assets – the only programs available are through the VA.

The federal VA programs are called Aid and Attendance (A&A) and Housebound. Each state also manages state VA facilities that may be accepting new residents.

The A&A and Housebound programs pay an additional amount on top of established VA pension compensation to help cover the extra costs of long-term care expenses.

Both programs are available only to those who receive a VA pension.

For the A&A program, you also must meet at least one of these requirements:

  • Someone helps you perform daily activities, like bathing, feeding, and dressing, or
  • You are bedridden or spend a large portion of the day in bed because of illness, or
  • You are in facility due to mental or physical issues related to a disability, or
  • Your eyesight is severely limited.

For the Housebound program, you must spend most of your time in your home due to a permanent disability. A person cannot receive both A&A and Housebound benefits at the same time.

Receiving a VA Pension

The key factor from the program descriptions above is receipt of a VA pension. A VA pension is a financial needs-based program with three eligibility hurdles:

1. Both of the following statements must apply:

  • You did not receive a dishonorable discharge, and
  • Your yearly family income and net worth are within legal limits.

Net worth includes all personal property you own (except your house, your car, and most home furnishings) minus any debt you owe. It includes the net worth of your spouse.

You must work with a Veteran Service Office to determine your net worth. Search “county Veteran service office” online to find your nearest offices, check out the VA’s directory of State Veterans Affairs Offices, or use another online directory. These offices also can help you determine availability at a state VA facility.

2. You must fall within one of these service windows:

  • Initial active duty before Sept. 8, 1980, with at least 90 days on active duty and at least one day during wartime*, or
  • Initial active duty as an enlisted member after Sept. 7, 1980, and served at least 24 months or the full period for which you were ordered to active duty with at least one day during wartime*, or
  • Were an officer with initial active duty after Oct. 16, 1981, with no previous active service in the prior 24 months.

* Learn how the VA defines periods of wartime service for pension eligibility here.

3. You must meet at least one of these requirements:

  • Are at least 65 years old, or
  • Have a permanent and total disability, or
  • Currently in a facility for caregiving because of a disability, or
  • Receiving Social Security Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income.

Learn more about the VA pension, A&A, and Housebound at Besides these programs, you can ask your County Veteran Service Officer about the possibility of eligibility for VA’s Veteran-Directed Care and Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers programs. You can also call the VA Hotline at (800) 827-1000 or go to the VA homepage ( for more resources.


Please register to post comments. Registration is FREE of charge!

Copyright © 2016. All Rights Reserved.