When do I need to see a specialist?

If you have cervical cancer, you'll likely be treated by one or more of the following specialists: a gynecologic oncologist, a radiation oncologist and a medical oncologist. An oncologist is a doctor specially trained in diagnosing and treating cancer.

If you have been diagnosed with precancerous changes, it's not essential that you see an oncologist. Depending on the degree of the change seen, your gynecologist or your primary care doctor may monitor your condition and provide treatment.