How can someone get a second opinion?

These are some of the many ways to get a second opinion.

  • Ask a primary care doctor. He or she may be able to suggest a specialist. This may be a gynecologic oncologist, medical oncologist, or radiation oncologist. Sometimes these doctors work together at cancer centers or hospitals. Never be afraid to ask for a second opinion.
  • Call the National Cancer Institute's Cancer Information Service. The number is 1-800-4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237). They have information about treatment facilities. These include cancer centers and other programs supported by the National Cancer Institute.
  • Consult The Official ABMS Directory of Board Certified Medical Specialists. This book, from the American Board of Medical Specialists, lists doctors by state. It gives their specialty, background, and training. It is available at most public libraries. You can also view it online at
  • Seek other options. Check with a local medical society, a nearby hospital or medical school, or support group to get names of doctors who can give you a second opinion. Or ask other people who've had cancer for their recommendations