What documents do I need to include in the application?
  • Discharge/separation Papers (DD-214. If you need to request military records, please visit www.vetrecs.archives.gov to get a copy.
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate (for surviving spouse or when filing for both the veteran and spouse).
  • Copy of current Social Security award letter (Letter that SS sends at the beginning of the year stating what your monthly amount will be for the following year).
  • Net worth information, including bank accounts, CD's, trust, stocks, bonds, annuities, etc.
  • Proof of all income from pensions, retirement, interest income from investments, annuities, etc.
  • Proof of insurance premiums, medications, medical bills or any other medical expenses that are not reimbursed by insurance or Medicare.
  • Physician statement that includes current diagnosis, medical status, prognosis, name and address, ability to care for self, ability to travel unattended, etc. If the applicant is in a nursing home or assisted living facility, you will need to submit a Nursing Home Status Form and a Statement of Occupancy from the facility (ask the facility for this Statement).
  • Banking information for direct deposit of monthly payments (include a voided check).
  • List of all doctors and hospitals visited in the last year.

Be sure to include VA form 21-0845 (Authorization to Disclose Personal Information to a Third Party) if you are filing for your loved one and need to oversee the application process. Without this authorization, the VA will not discuss the application with you.

Never send originals and ALWAYS send all correspondence via Certified Mail "Registered Return Receipt" as well as keeping a complete copy of everything for your own records. If you are in the process of completing an A&A claim, the VA states, "It is not necessary to request a duplicate copy of a veteran's discharge or separation papers solely for the purpose of filing a claim for VA Benefits. If complete information about the veteran's service is furnished on the application, the VA will obtain verification of service." In spite of what the VA says, we recommend including a copy to avoid any imposed delay.

Here are complete instructions on How to Apply for the Aid and Attendance Benefit.